TWBP (The Web Browser Project)

Source Code: https://techview.link/2DDjCa3

The following is a fully-functional web-browser demonstration made in VB.NET. This topic is primarily for archival purposes, all rights remain to the respective owner and creator Colin Verhey.

Overview

TWBP (The Web Browser Project) was created by Colin Verhey in 2010 using the VB.NET programming language. The latest version makes use of the "Awesomium" browser engine (based on the Chromium browser engine) and the "MDI Tab Control" (by Eduardo Olievera).
The official website for the project, "http://twbp.x10host.com/", was active from early 2010 to late 2014. The website has since been offline, and development has since ceased. The final instance of the project was version 8.1.80, released in late 2014.

The following is the original description of the project from the official website:

The Web Browser Project is an open-source web browser initiative written in VB.Net 2010 that strives to create a web browser that everyone can enjoy. Based on the well-known open-source Chromium web engine from Google, it gets the job done fast without getting in your way.

This project specifically focuses on three areas: speed, simplicity, and stability. It then combines that with a rich feature set to deliver you a pretty decent browser. Most importantly though, it's free of charge and open-source. I believe in both freeware and the open-source initiative, so to reflect my belief, my work is free and can be contributed to. I can easily tell you that this browser would not have come as far as it has without the help of the open-source community, in particular the community at TheDevForum.

The source code of the final release (8.1.80) of TWBP is available at the beginning of this topic.

Like 0 Dislike

Ah! The grandfather of VB.NET browsers. (Feel the nostologia)

Like +1 Dislike

But I must say the best .NET browser is the WebExpress (written in C# and WPF)

Like 0 Dislike

My personal favorite is Blueflap for sure, absolutely love the design. WebExpress is also a goodie 1f604

Like 0 Dislike

Hi guys! Wow, I'm glad you like old WebExpress! A little curiosity: my browser has my own tab system 1f600

Like +1 Dislike

Hiya @Sential, welcome back! Feel free to transfer your projects and whatnot to the new forum 1f609

Like 0 Dislike

@SentialBro, your webbrowser has literally one of the best designs I've ever seen. Have you cancelled it or something? Would love to help you and revive it.

A post by brwck

Like 0 Dislike

Yes, I cancelled WebExpress in C#, but I'm making a new web browser called Wexond (https://github.com/nersent/wexond), which is way better. It has adblock and extensions API (in-progress), and other basic features like suggestions etc.

Like +1 Dislike

@Sential Im getting an error trying to compile your program with yarn...
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! [email protected] build:dev: `rimraf public/build && webpack`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the [email protected] build:dev script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.
npm WARN Local package.json exists, but node_modules missing, did you mean to install?

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     C:\Users\brwck\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache\_logs\2018-02-10T02_13_46_787Z-debug.log
error Command failed with exit code 1.

A post by brwck

Like 0 Dislike

error C:\Users\brwck\Downloads\wexond-master\node_modules\bloom-filter-cpp: Command failed.
Exit code: 1
Command: node-gyp rebuild
Arguments:
Directory: C:\Users\brwck\Downloads\wexond-master\node_modules\bloom-filter-cpp
Output:
C:\Users\brwck\Downloads\wexond-master\node_modules\bloom-filter-cpp>if not defined npm_config_node_gyp (node "C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\bin\node-gyp-bin\\..\..\node_modules\node-gyp\bin\node-gyp.js" rebuild )  else (node "" rebuild )
gyp info it worked if it ends with ok
gyp info using [email protected]
gyp info using [email protected] | win32 | x64
gyp ERR! configure error
gyp ERR! stack Error: Can't find Python executable "python", you can set the PYTHON env variable.
gyp ERR! stack     at PythonFinder.failNoPython (C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\configure.js:483:19)
gyp ERR! stack     at PythonFinder.<anonymous> (C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\configure.js:508:16)
gyp ERR! stack     at C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\node_modules\graceful-fs\polyfills.js:284:29
gyp ERR! stack     at FSReqWrap.oncomplete (fs.js:166:21)
gyp ERR! System Windows_NT 10.0.15063
gyp ERR! command "C:\\Program Files\\nodejs\\node.exe" "C:\\Program Files\\nodejs\\node_modules\\npm\\node_modules\\node-gyp\\bin\\node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd C:\Users\brwck\Downloads\wexond-master\node_modules\bloom-filter-cpp

A post by brwck

Like 0 Dislike